Being called basic I would consider a judgmental thing. You do not know a person, what they are going through, or what they have seen in life. So in order to defend me and all my ‘basic’ features I wrote a little something to help you better understand the syndrome people are calling basic.
15 Things that People Associate with Basics Explained/Justified
1. Basics don’t wear black leggings to fit in- we wear them because they are comfortable and can hide the fact I ate a whole cheese pizza last night, alone.
2. Basics don’t carry a Vera Bradley Backpack to fit it- it just happens to be the cutest one possible in a world of ugly backpacks.
3. Basics don’t pose in weird contorted ways with their friends when we are in groups to fit in- we stand next to our friends and try to look presentable for the photo while slightly popping the knee.
see, it has been around since women were taking photos. so sit down and shut up.
4. Basics don’t wear Lilly Pulitzer to fit it- we wear Lilly Pultizer because we are obsessed with colors, prints, and everything the brand represents.
5. Basics don’t wear 8 year old grimy UGGS to fit in- we wear them because it is freezing and they double as a security blanket.
6. Basic don’t show off their ‘homemade food’ to fit in…we are just showing other people in the world they need to step their domestic game up. (Pinning something on Pintrest does not count, sorry.)
7. Basics don’t order a Pumpkin Spice Latte to fit in- we order it because it is amazing, makes us do a little happy dance and reminds me why I was willing to spend $4 on the drink to begin with.
8. Basics don’t wear knee high ‘riding’ boots to fit in…they are just a lot cuter with my leggings and skinny jeans that a pair of tennis shoes could ever be.
9. Basics don’t take photos of nature to fit in…we do it to show off that we can handle being in nature long enough to take a photo then filter it.
10. Basics don’t wear puffer vest to fit in…we do it because there is no other alternative to con conquer weather’s dramatic changes. (Example: early morning brisk, afternoon heat)
this outfit is perfect. Hashtag Monogram, Hashtag Preppy Hashtag Burr
11. Basics don’t drink wine to fit in…we do it because it is cheap and you can do it at home and not be considered an alcoholic.
12. Basics don’t filter the hell out of photos to fit in…we just want to look tan.
13. Basics don’t wear rain boots to fit in…What the hell do you expect us to wear when it is pouring rain.
14. Basics don’t take photos of macaroons to fit it…have you ever tried one? You would understand.
15. Basics don’t sit on their laptops writing blogs while drinking coffee to fit in…it is just what bloggers do! (Did I just give myself away?).
I hope the next time you go to call somebody basic remember… Its adaptation and improvising. Give us a little more credit.
PS: loving fall is not basic. It is just the best season of the year.
PPS: loving Target is not basic. It is just thee MOST AMAZING STORE WHERE SHOPPING A.D.D ALWAYS KICKS IN.